It is rightly said that ‘History repeats itself’ as the present generation has modernized itself and thus after going through all kinds of cosmetics and cosmetic surgeries, we are back to our ayurveda and yoga sciences!
They are worth swearing by!
Pranayaam is a boon for the lazy bums. People like us, who are more of a couch potato and it’s a herculean task to stretch your muscles and do yoga…
Don’t worry folks, the Indian vedic science has got every one of us covered! Pranayaam is the real yoga for the couch lovers.
What is Kapalbhaati Pranayaam?
Kapal means Skull and the brain, Bhaati means to shine or glow. So this Pranayaam is the specific process of exhaling bad air thus making your brain and all the organs under its control to have a good health and fresh oxygen. It makes your body shine with a healthy glow.
How to do Kapalbhaati Pranayaam?
- Sit in ‘Sukhasan’ or even on a chair, whatever suits you.
- Close your eyes.
- Do deep breathing for 5 breaths.
- After that just exhale in small rapid strokes.(refer to this video)
- Don’t think about inhaling, as it is passive in this process (you are taking the air in automatically).
- Your tummy will go inside with every breath you take out (exhale).
- Take rest in between whenever you get tired or feel short of breath.
- Start with 100 strokes of exhalation per day.
- Increase 50 strokes after one week.
- So 1st week – 100 strokes
- When you reach 500 strokes, then stay on it for another month.
- Increasing beyond that depends upon your choice and the time you have. Though after experiencing amazing benefits till then, you will be a fan of the Kapal Bhati pranayama and you will end up inspiring others to do the same!
*According to Yog Guru Swami Ramdev, 400 to 600 strokes are mandatory for reaping its benefits.
What are the benefits of Kapalbhaati Pranayama?
As you will notice while doing the pranayama, that your tummy goes inside due to forced exhalation! Thus this pranayaam leads to the exercise and massage of all the internal organs, thus making them function more efficiently and also treating the diseases. Some common benefits of Kapal Bhati pranayaam are stated below.
Clears Digestive Tract
You will notice an increase in the amount of poop while defecating (if you want to notice because that’s kinda smelly job to do), but we recommend you to observe that. As this indicates better emptying of your intestines. With time, the old crap starts coming out thus clearing your intestines which will make the digestion better and save you from any digestive disorders.
Gastric Problems Fly Away
Forget the heartburn and those embarrassing gastric problems like frequent burps and excessive acidity. They will get treated as if they never existed. Some people start having burps and releasing gas while doing this pranayaam, as stomach clears itself by releasing the unwanted air in it. (So we advise you to sit alone while doing it and be ready for the surprises!)
Regulation of Menstrual Cycle
If your periods always come as a surprise when you were not expecting them to come or they like to surprise you with heavy flow one month and no flow the other! Then you need to do this pranayaam. It works miraculously in regulating your cycle and also regulating the flow while keeping those days comparatively easier for you. (Don’t do the pranayaam while having periods!)
Makes your skin glow and hair shine
Yes please, every girl’s dream is lustrous hair & glowing skin (Boys are also in that race nowadays though). Don’t worry, nature doesn’t discriminate between the genders. Whether you are a male or female, this pranayaam will give you a healthy-supple-glowing skin and strong, shiny hair.
*Some gurus claim that it also turns grey hair into black or whatever the natural color your manes were, but there is no evidence of it, till now! (let’s keep our fingers crossed that it does that).
Last but certainly not the least, this one benefit of pranayaam has made it famous among our lazy community. As people have shed 10-15kgs by doing just this pranayaam two times a day and increasing the water intake. A healthy fiber diet will be the cherry on the cake.
If you don’t believe us, then please go ahead and try it yourself for just one month and don’t forget to weigh yourself before starting this. You will be amazed by the benefits it possesses.
There are many more benefits which are less proven, but people say that they happen:
- Boosted Immunity
- Improved Eyesight
- Tumour Size reduction
- Hormonal Regulation
- UTI treatment and prevention
- Fibroid reduction
- Stress Treatment
- Improved Concentration
- Snoring Treatment (tell this to your husband)
- Fertility improvement etc.
Things to consider while doing the Pranayaam
- Prefer to do it in the mornings, before eating anything.
- Try to sit in the open areas, like the terrace or in the garden or in your backyard for that matter, so that you get fresh air while inhaling.
- If you choose to do it in evenings then keep a gap of almost 2 hours with the food, for example, stop eating and drinking at 4 pm if you plan to do the pranayaam at 6 pm.
- If you are suffering from a backache then try to sit with your back supported, like in a chair or with a backrest or pillow.
- Don’t overexert yourself, take frequent breaks, regulate your breathing and then start again.
- To avoid any problems, get your way of doing pranayaam monitored by a trained Yog Guru or professional so that you don’t end up doing it wrong.
- There are no side-effects of this Pranayaam, but if you are suffering from any heart problem then ask your physician before starting it.
That’s about it, for now, we would love to answer all your queries and also eager to know your experiences with this pranayaam.
Till then ‘ Keep Breathing the way, that it helps you breathe more!’
Note: The remedies or exercises provided in this article are not a replacement for a medical advice. Please consult a healthcare professional before following the solutions.