Breastfeeding week has been observed in the first week of August (1st to 7th August) throughout the world. The purpose of celebrating this week is to spread awareness about breastfeeding and its importance for both the mother and the Baby. Breastfeeding your baby makes you a complete mother.
” You have kept the Baby inside your body for 9 long months, there is nothing that can stop you from breastfeeding him/her.”
This amazing phenomenon is a startling experience for all new moms. They have all kinds of queries about breastfeeding their baby, also about its effect on their own health as well. This article focuses on the benefits of breastfeeding and how to improve the breast milk production by some superfoods and home remedies. So let’s get started:
The most important benefits of breastfeeding are:
- It helps the Baby gain proper weight as well as helps in developing immunity. It prevents ear infections, diarrhea, and pneumonia as well. As per the latest researches, 6 months of breastfeeding must be done to the baby.
- Breastfeeding releases oxytocin, that helps in constricting your uterus and making it achieve the pre-delivery state again.
- Breastfeeding your baby gives both of you some quality time with each-other thus improving the bonding between you two.
- It helps in the reduction of pregnancy weight faster, this study suggests.
- Breastfeeding reduces the chances of ovarian and breast cancer in mother considerably.
Some new mothers suffer from the decreased or no production of milk due to hormonal changes, don’t worry. Here are a few Ayurvedic home remedies/superfood that has been used in the old times and they are now backed up by the latest researches.
Some most effective galactagogues are as follows:
- Black lentils (urad dal) – Have it once or two times a day. This will improve the breast milk production as per the appetite of the baby.
- Fruits – These are good for milk production, some best fruits that boost breast milk are grapes, sapodilla, pear, and papaya etc.
- Peas – These are another superfoods that ensure the milk production, both the pea curries and the raw pea are good for breastmilk.
- Cumin – Roast the dry cumin, make powder. Add some sugar to it and make small tabs. Have it two times a day, both morning and evening.
- Split Red gram (Arhar dal) – Steam it and mix some ghee in it and have it in any of your meal to boost the milk production in your mammary glands. You can make the lentil soup as well, just add some clarified butter (ghee) to make it work.
- Barley – Barley is a polysaccharide which helps in increasing the production of the prolactin hormone, which in turn improves milk production. Which is the reason why there was a popular belief that beer (which is made from barley) boosts milk production. However, it is advised that the mother should consume other recipes of barley than the alcohol versions (as alcohol can reduce the breast milk production), this study from NCBI quotes.
- Fennel (Saunf) – These fragrant seeds are used as the mouth-fresheners after having food in Indian culture. They aid in the digestion too. Fennel seeds are good for weight-reduction as well. They are taken by the new moms to boost breast milk too. So this one is a power-packed herb and a new mom’s best friend. You can boil 2 teaspoon fennel seeds in ½ liter water and drink it lukewarm throughout the day.
Some other breastmilk friendly foods are nuts, jaggery, roasted chickpeas (bhuna chana), spinach etc. Just keep one thing in mind, Breastfeeding your baby becomes better with practice, don’t give up if your little one is having some problems while latching or sucking. He/she will learn it eventually.
Also, the breast milk production is more like supply and demand, it gets boost up when the baby starts drinking more milk and reduces when you wean him/her off after 6 months.
Don’t forget to enter your email so that you never miss a weekly newsletter of all the new blogs on healthyly. We promise we will just send the mail once a week!
So, let’s be friends.
P.S – Do consider professional opinion before following any home remedies.