LASER hair removal or hair reduction procedure has become one of the most common cosmetic procedure in the world. This non-invasive procedure is a boon for the girl clan and the whole waxing, shaving and plucking saga can come to a rest with this. The question is, that is this really true? Does it work?
Well the answer lies in the details and for those of you who just want the non-hairy dreams come true, YES it does work!
The catch is, it may not work for your dark-skinned friend the way it worked for your wheatish to fair skin. Why?
Well, for starters, Laser works best on fair skin and dark hair. As the Laser light destroys the hair follicle roots by recognizing the pigment in it, which is why it will not work for the grey, white or colored hair.
Another catch is the softness of hair, if you have hard hair, you will get better results than if you have soft baby hair.
We have busted all the myths about laser here in this article and believe me, I am talking about it because I have experienced it!
Advantages of the Laser Hair Removal Treatment
- Laser treatment can work everywhere on your body including your face.
- The most common laser areas are face, underarms, arms, legs and bikini area
- No more razor bumps and accelerated growths
- Say goodbye to those painful monthly waxing sessions
- Ingrown hair become a thing of past
- Just a ‘touch-up’ once a year will do!
How to Choose the Best Laser clinic for you
Two factors must be taken into consideration, one, a certified laser practitioner and other is the best laser machine. The lasers are of many types, the ND-YAG laser works for all skin types and if you skin color is on a darker side, then also this one works within safe limits.
Consider the reviews of the clinic and a cosmetic surgeon is your best bet. They have good machines and better technicians to perform the laser procedure.
How to Prepare yourself for a Laser Treatment session
After hunting down the best clinic for your body-manes, do take these points into consideration –
- No waxing, plucking, threading should be done for about 4 weeks as this will allow the hair to grow back and the laser will find more roots to eliminate.
- Avoid the sun exposure before and after your laser sessions.
- If you have some tanning, then wait for it to go away for better results.
- A well exfoliated and clean skin will be a plus for the laser session.
What to expect during Laser Hair Removal/Reduction procedure
It's alright to be nervous for your first laser session, here are a few tips that will help you during those difficult moments.
- After checking the color of your skin and thickness of your hair, that area will be shaved in order to make way for roots. If you have already got checked then you can also shave one day before your appointment.
- You will be provided with the goggles for eye protection from the laser beams.
- After that a cool gel is applied on the area so that the laser beams can penetrate better into the skin and can find hair follicles easily.
- You will feel a probe on your skin and it will produce a pin-pricking like sensation but that won’t be too painful. The pain will be lesser than the waxing procedure and it is quite fast.
- The small areas like upper lips or chin take just about 5 minutes while the bigger areas such as thighs and back take up to an hour.
- After the procedure, you can wash the area with cold water. You will be given the anti-inflammatory creams to apply on the affected area.
- You can apply the sunscreen before stepping out of the clinic. Avoid roaming in the sun after the procedure as the skin becomes a bit sensitive and is likely to tan more.
Precautions after the Laser Hair Removal Procedure
- Always apply sunscreen before stepping out
- Red or sore skin is normal but if it lasts more than 24 hours, then consult your dermatologist or laser technician.
- Falling of the hair root is normal - your hair roots will fall off in the coming week and this is quite a good sign that the laser is working on your skin.
- No gym, hot baths or any body heat producing activities for 24 hours
- Avoid any kind of chemicals products on your skin near your laser sessions. (ask your dermat)
- Try to stay indoors (Yay! Now you have a valid reason)
- You can apply make-up though (Talk about having the cake and eat it too!)
Side-effects of Laser Treatment
Any kind of side-effects are quite uncommon but they do happen at times, which is why I advise you to find the qualified laser technician. Some of the uncommon side-effects of laser are -
- Blisters may appear if strong frequency is used
- Swelling and infection on skin can occur if the probe is not sterilized
- Permanent scarring can occur as well.
Cost and Sessions of laser Hair Reduction Treatment
The cost of the laser session vary dramatically in different countries and clinics. It can range from 500 INR ($8) to 1500 INR ($21) for underarms laser and so on in India. Many clinics provide amazing packages for full body laser sessions, they turn out to be quite cost-effective.
You will need about 5 to 10 sessions to have complete benefits of this laser hair reduction procedure. You will see about 20 percent improvement after the first session and about 40% reduction in hair growth after 3rd session. Every session needs a gap of about 4-6 weeks so that the roots can grow fully, which means, you need to go to the laser clinic once in two months.
The results may vary as per the laser quality and your skin, hair type. So I will advise you to start with a small area first and if you see any improvement then go for the full treatment as per your requirement. Who knew, we will be able to ditch the wax sessions forever!
“Do it because you want to do it, not because your boyfriend wants you to do it. You are beautiful, with or without your body hair”.
More Power to you girl and for those laser sessions too 🙂
Here is an image for your pinterest board. Spread the word! Also, don't forget to subscribe to our weekly newsletter, let's be friends!