Holi is a festival of colors and while some of us enjoy it to the core, others just hate it. The reason behind that is the harmful colors and the skin damage it can create. Holi has its charm in the natural colors, regional cuisines and the raunchy dance numbers. How can you forget the bhaang!
Well, when played with lots of sense and dignity, Holi is an amazing festival. If you are all set to change the mood and blend in the colors then we have some amazing ideas for you that will make your holi a memorable one.
For starters, prepare yourself well before going out in the fun parade. Here are a few tips to set the skin all ready to face the colors-
How to Prepare Your Skin & Hair for Holi
- Oil your hair and scalp – Coconut oil works best for coating your scalp and covering your hair. It protects your hair and scalp from damage of colors. You can also use it as a moisturizer for other exposed areas of your body such as arms, legs, hands etc. Coconut oil is your skin’s best friend, know all coconut oil benefits here.
- Sunscreen is a must – Don’t ditch this as this will make a shield on your skin. It will protect it from sun rays as well as the holi colors/gulaal.
- Use vaseline petroleum jelly on your ears – This is a must as it will be very difficult to remove the color from the nicks n corners of your ears. So cover it with vaseline petroleum jelly so that the gulal comes out easily.
- Aloe Vera Gel for your arms and exposed areas – Apply aloe vera gel liberally on your arms, hands, feet and other exposed areas of your skin. This will create a barrier and protect your skin from getting damaged.
- Wear clothes that cover your skin the most – Well, we are not asking you to wear a bodysuit on holi but you can wear full sleeves clothes at least. You can wear bandana as well, it will look cool and will protect your hair as well!
- Nail Paint will save your nails – Yes, it will! You can opt for a transparent nail paint or a colored one. The transparent nail paint has an added benefit that it can be applied to the cuticles as well, this will prevent the color from entering inside your nails. As we all know, the color inside the nails is very annoying and can pose some health risks as well.
- Don’t Forget the lip Balm – Protecting your lips is a must, so apply your lip balm generously or vaseline can come to the rescue if you don’t have a lip balm. Holi colors can make them chapped so don’t forget this important step.
- Don’t wear contact Lenses – As foolish it may sound, but some of us want to look good in those holi parties. You look good with your spectacles too, just don’t wear contact lenses as any color drawn in the eyes can cause more irritation and will stick to those lenses forever. On the other hand, your glasses will act as a protector of your eyes too.
Don’t worry about the looks, everyone is going to look the same within 15 minutes of starting the party! 😉
- Use Organic Colors – Organic colors will make you feel great and you won’t have to worry about rushing to the shower at once!
- How about Shades & caps? – Well they look stylish and protect your skin too!
How to make Holi Colors at Home
So, when you are all set to have fun and play around with the colors. Take a good look on your choice of colors, always look for the natural ingredients to make your own colors. These colors will pamper your skin and you just feel so good that it feels like spa!
It can range from our very own fuller’s earth (multaani mitti), hibiscus flower powder, marigold flowers, Hena, Sandalwood powder and even Gram flour. Get the detailed guide about how to make holi colors at home that will make you feel like spa.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the upcoming Holi cuisine ideas and other useful & cool Stuff!