We are aware of that feeling when you open your eyes in the morning and the moment you try to move a bit, a wave of pain from your back wishes you good morning in its own nasty style!
Ya, nobody likes that kind of mornings. We, at healthyly, after trying and testing various exercises, concluded that this spine extension exercise is the best exercise. It’s nothing new that we have invented or discovered, but it’s a tried & tested one.
In Yoga, It’s somewhere in between the ‘Bhujangasana’ or ‘Cobra pose’ (as Bhujanga means snake in Sanskrit) and ‘Locust Pose’ or ‘Shalabhasana’.
In this exercise, your chest will be up in the air, hands behind your back but the feet are on the surface.
This Spine Extension exercise, which I would like to call as the ‘CoLo Pose’ is easy to perform and even beginners can do it without any difficulty.
Best is to do this exercise while you are still on your mission to get up from your much-loved bed, in the morning.
The Procedure is as follows –
- Whenever You wake-up, just lie down on your stomach.
- Keep Your hands behind your back (as in the locust pose) but keep your legs and feet over the surface, don’t lift them like in the locust pose.
- Try to move your chest upwards as shown in the picture (as in the cobra pose).
- Hold this position for 10 seconds in the first week, 20 seconds for a second week and 30 seconds in the third week.
- After 10 seconds, go to the normal position and repeat it 5 times.
Various researchers have proved that an exercise should be performed at least for 6 weeks consistently in order to achieve the muscle strengthening.
So we would advise you to do it religiously for 6 weeks in order to achieve proper strengthening and thus living a pain-free life!
Additional tips from a Physio –
- Have protein and calcium-rich diet every day.
- Avoid lifting anything heavy when You are having backache, as you can end up injuring your already grieving back.
- Use a firm mattress on your bed, a slouchy one can bring the pain back in no time.
- Try to stay active and go for 10 minutes walk.
- Sit supported, keeping a cushion in your back area will give immense relief.
- Stay away from stress and you will be amazed how effective it is for your general well being.
Note– Get the consent of your physio or your physician before performing this exercise, as there are various causes of a simple backache and every case is unique.
We will be eagerly waiting for your response on this, any kind of query is also welcome.
All the Best for a Happy Back!
Note: The remedies or exercises provided in this article are not a replacement for a medical advice. Please consult a healthcare professional before following the solutions.